students asked me more than 4 wks ago, abt what i thought abt the Bermuda triangle, and ive been wanting to do my own research on it for yrs….
anyhow, i told the students that i thought there must be a perfectly logical, scientific explanation for the disappeances, because things cant just disappear…. (what to do, im a left-brainer and a scientist. i believe in logical explanations)
so while i tried to tell them that currents could have carried sunken ships away, they rebuted me with the unexplained disappearances of aircrafts.
so here goes.
the area lies between Bermuda, Miami and Pueto rico. there’s a group who believe it is a triangle. but theres also a group which notes that there have been strange losses outside this triangle, and so they postulate a trapezium.
the first reported incident was made by Christopher Columbus, where he and his crew members noted dancing lights on the horizon and disappearing matter. there’ve been many famous unexplained disappearances such as an entire squadron of planes (Flight 19) in 1945, and the USS Cyclops.
and scientists have come up with logical theories on why things disappear in this region.
1. Gulf Stream: strong undercurrent, possibly caused by caribbean-atlantic weather could drag off any sunken vessels very quickly. this weather could also cause waterspouts, which could cause aircrafts to malfunction, sink and then get dragged away.
(talk abt waterspouts, apparently, there was one 10-min waterspout that happened in east coast yesterday, if im not wrong. how come im never lucky enough to witness such great stuff!!!!!!! humph!)
2. Methane gas: as we know, large amounts of methane may be found deep in the earth. if land masses under the ocean move to release enough methane gas, this would reduce the density of the water. causing vessels to sink. it is said that methane might be released into the air, reducing density of air, causing aircrafts to blow.
3. Magnetic variation: it seems that the compass, which usually points to Magnetic North, doesnt point to Magnetic North when its within the triangle. instead, it points to True North. so this might cause navigation errors. although i think that sailors should be able to anticipate this error in compass directions and compensate as necessary.
scientists have also come up with illogical explanations (as i think they are)
1. Time interval: i have no idea how to rephrase this cos i kind of dont understand it.
2. Crystals: some powerful “fire-crystal” is supposedly in the bottom of the ocean in that triangle area, and it sends out energy waves that is able to interfere with ships and aircrafts.
3. Crystal sphere: this psychic found a crystal while swimming and had psychic visions on the supernatural powers of this crystal. it had no algae growing on it, was brightly lit although there was on direct light source. when another psychic saw the crystal, she had this premonition that the crystal belonged to this Egyptian God who buried the secret vault of knowledge. the sphere is apparently supernatural. with healing powers, magnetic vibrations, temperature difference and such…..
so….thats as far as these theories go. but i definitely had an interesting time reading abt Flight 19 and these theories. i didnt know that methane reduces density of air and water. interesting…
as i was doing my research, i came across an article, part of which is this:
Existence is so complex even the simplest form of life beggar our imagination. “To grasp the reality of life as it has been revealed by molecular biology, we must magnify a cell a thousand million times until it is twenty kilometers in diameter and resembles a giant airship large enough to cover a great city like London or New York. What we would then see would be an object of unparrelled complexity and adaptive design. On the surface of the cell we would see millions of openings, like the port holes of a vast space ship, opening and closeing to allow a continual stream of materials to flow in and out. If we were to enter one of these openings we would find ourselves in a world of supreme technology and belwidlering complexity . . . Is it really credible that random processes could have constructed a reality, the smallest elements of which—a functional protein or gene—is complex beyond our own creative capacities, a reality which is the very antithesis of chance, which excels in every sense anything produced by the intelligence of man?” —Dr. Michael Denton, Phd Microbiology.
Beyond the cell is the complexity of things not seen—gravity, magnetism . . .Time. “Softly, softly, they creep about us” to paraphrase Lewis Carroll. They leave a teasing trail of themselves, one quietly points to the other then flees before we can ponder.
Black holes exist in space, where gravity is so strong the light cannot escape, where not even time can be registered for the clock would stop, where everything vanishes. Just of what is the Universe capable and all its elements?