when i was a kid, i was told that centipedes had 100 legs and millipedes has 1000 legs… and i believed it, and never bothered to find out whether that was true, until now.
- legs are short
- legs are under the body
- have 2 legs on each segment of the body
- they curl up when disturbed
- harmless to men, but millipede secretions may be corrosive to eyes
- usually dark brown or black in colour
- they are decomposers
- legs are longer
- leags stick out from the sides of the body
- have 1 leg on each segment of the body, so the legs are alternate
- the last legs are not used for movement
- the front legs are modified for attack, could even hurt humans if the centipedes are big
- is grayish yellow with 3 dark stripes on top
- feeds on small insects and arthropods (Yep.. they are carnivores! bet you didnt know that!)
so there you go…… at least now i know the real difference between centipedes and millipedes!